1. READ! In the Name of your Lord Who has created (all that exists).
2. He has created man from a clot (a piece of thick coagulated blood).
3. Read! And your Lord is the Most Generous.
4. Who has taught (the writing) by the pen.
5. He has taught man that which he knew not.
Did the angel use a spiritual projector on the cave wall, showing Prophet Muhammad the words? How could he read without seeing letters with words and sentences even if he was literate? And if the Arabic word Iqra can also mean RECITE like some Muslims say then why would Prophet Muhammad say I don’t know how to read? Anyone can recite what he hears from the language he speaks if he is not deaf and even parrots can repeat/recite words they hear. Muslims can you please explain?
It’s possible that Archangel Gabriel somehow imprinted the words on Prophet’s mind and that’s what he wanted him to read. Prophet Muhammad must have thought that Gabriel was referring to the normal way of reading, and he expressed his inability to do so. Once the verses were part of his memory, the Prophet could read them at any time. In a way, it was like uploading a file on a computer which the Prophet was able to download and recite to his followers at any time without ever changing a word. That by itself must have been remarkable.